Thursday, July 10, 2008

Super Walmart vs. Aldi (& Fareway)



With the opening of our Super Walmart, a friend and I decided to do an experiment. We took a basic grocery list and set off for Super Walmart, Aldi, & Fareway to compare generics to generics to see where we could save the most money.

1. If I just bought a grocery list of produce, I would spend $10 more at Super Walmart than Aldi and Fareway! DON'T buy your produce at Super Walmart! It may look pretty, but it will take a big bite out of your budget.

2. If I purchased a complete grocery list of the same generic items at all three stores (produce, staples, dairy, meat, etc.), Super Walmart would cost the most ($169.95), Fareway would be second ($160.74), and Aldi would be the cheapest ($140.96) Aldi is cheap, hands down. If you shopped this grocery list once per month, you would save $237.36 per year by shopping at Aldi!

3. If I took the list and bought each item at the store where that item is cheapest, I saved an additional $6.42 from what I spent from just shopping at Aldi. If you shopped for these items once per month at the store where each item is cheapest, you would save another $77.04 per year. This one is tricky. How long would it take you to make a spreadsheet of the prices? (with the help of a friend it took me about 6 hours) You also have to take into account your gas costs. It doesn't help to save $6.42 in groceries if you eat it up in gas.

Want to locate an Aldi near you? Click here! Never shopped at Aldi? Read this helpful article before you go! There are few things you will want to know ahead of time!

(Central Iowans: If you live in central Iowa and would like me to email you a copy of my spreadsheet, send me an email at my email link. It is a rough spreadsheet and I have noticed that some prices have gone up since making it, but it's a start.)

(A Note About Hy-Vee and Cub Foods: Hy-Vee and Cub Foods are generally more expensive. Maybe someday when I have more time, I will do another price comparison to show how much more expensive they really are. Don't get me wrong, Hy-Vee is a clean and fun store to shop and Cub boasts some "great" Buy One, Get One sales, but they are both more expensive than the stores above. If you need to save on groceries, they are not the place.)

7 comments:

nebraskaridge said...

I don't buy produce at Super Walmart because it seems to go bad very quickly. I usually buy staples at SW & fill in w/ great deals from Hy-Vee like the Powerade for .50, free after MQ. We don't have Aldi - I wish we did!
Any confirmation on the Hy-Vee Planters deal. Is it buy 3 Planters, get a $4 catalina?

Amy

Darla @ UltraBeautyBoutique said...

The one thing around here is that each of the grocery stores honors the others' ads. So I can shop at Hy-vee (where the selection is better than our Fareway) and still get the ad prices of Fareway.

Now if I want to get something NOT on sale, I still need to go to Fareway but I've learned by shopping ONLY the sales that I can make out quite nicely at Hy-Vee (I just started using this system)

bethany said...

Thanks for the info!
-central iowan-

Anonymous said...

I started shopping at Aldi a year ago. The prices are great. By shopping at Aldi, we feed a family of 5 for 80 to 85 a week. I did an experiment, same food list, three stores: Kroger 173, WalMart 146, Aldi 93. I still shop at Kroger for some items that Aldi does not carry but in general I think Aldi is great!! HINT: buy their re-usable bag - we have two.

Heather said...

I have been shopping at Aldi since they opened one near me, about two years ago. It took me some time to start, as I thought I was saving time and money by doing all of my shopping at Walmart. My mom finally convinced me to do an entire shopping trip, buying the usual items I would get from Walmart. I can't remember the exact amounts, but I do remember the difference was great! Now I go to Aldi first, then get what Aldi doesn't carry from Walmart.
I also like that I can go in, get everything I need, and be out in less than an hour. Can't say that about Walmart, regardless of how small my shopping list is.

Anonymous said...

I find that some Walmart locations are better than others when it comes to produce freshness. I plan to compare their prices to Aldi pretty soon though.

Anonymous said...

In my area, Hy-Vee and Fareway have the best produce. Walmart and Aldi is terrible. They also have better meat/poultry/pork/fish etc. So I compare adds, and go to Hy-Vee or Fareway for those items and go to Walmart or Aldi for the rest comparing their adds.